Eligibility & Rules
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States.
- Only active FTD Member Florist accounts in good standing currently, as well as at the time of the competition, are eligible. Applicants may be asked for proof of employment.
- Applicants must submit a completed application, professional bio, headshot and design portfolio to be considered by the selection committee.
- Applications and design portfolios will be reviewed and judged by an FTD committee. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Ten applicants will be selected to compete. Four alternates will also be chosen. Should one of the selected competitors not be eligible to compete, the next highest scoring alternate will become a competitor.
- Selected applicants must own an FTD Member Florist shop or be employed by an active FTD Member Florist in good standing through March 31, 2019.
- If, at any time during the application and competition timeframe, a competitor is no longer employed by an active FTD Member Florist, the competitor will be dismissed from the competition.
- All photos in the applicant's design portfolio must be of designs created solely by the applicant. Floral designs cannot be more than five years old.
- The non-refundable application fee of $150 will be charged to the FTD Member Florist's account on the September 2017 FTD Clearinghouse Statement.
- Selected competitors and alternates will be announced in late October 2017.
- Travel, accommodations and expenses to the 2018 AIFD National Symposium are the responsibility of the competitor.
- All competitors must attend the AIFD Leadership Luncheon on Wednesday, July 4, 2018, where the winner will be announced.
- Theme design details will be provided to all competitors in November 2017. Competitors are responsible for providing all flowers, foliage, containers and supplies for the theme design.
- For all surprise package designs, all competitors will receive the same assortment of flowers, foliage, containers and supplies.
- Size requirements for surprise package designs will be announced at the competition. Designs that do not meet the size requirements will be disqualified.
- Competitors may not receive outside coaching during the competition.
- Competitors must clean up their work area and exit the competition site before judging begins.
- The four competitors with the highest combined scores for the three preliminary designs on Sunday, July 1, 2018 will advance to the final round on Tuesday, July 3, 2018.
- The competitor with the overall highest score for all four designs will be declared the winner.
- In the event of a tie, the competitor with the highest score on the theme design will be declared the winner.
- For details on how the designs will be scored, please see the judging/evaluation criteria.
- Competition winner will represent the USA and FTD at the 2019 FTD-Interflora-Fleurop World Cup Design Competition in Philadelphia in March 2019. Expenses will be paid by FTD.
All application submissions are final. No refunds will be issued.
PHOTO USE PERMISSION
FTD is authorized to photograph floral designs and designers and reprint the photographs at its discretion. FTD will publish competitor headshots in FTD promotions and on-site materials, including the 2018 AIFD National Symposium program book. The competitor assumes the responsibility and liability for losses, damages and claims arising out of injury or damage to competitor's displays, product, equipment and other property brought upon the premises of the hotel and shall indemnify and hold harmless hotel agents and employees, AIFD agents and employees and FTD and its agents and employees from any and all such losses, damages and claims.
If you have questions regarding FTD America's Cup, please contact us at 800.788.9000 ext. 246240 or FTDAmericasCup@FTDi.com.